Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lovely Walmart!!

I love going to Walmart!! Every time it is a new experience and every time I ask myself why I keep coming back!! Today the lovely cashier questioned why I was buying so many paper products (paper plates, Kleenexes, napkins, forks, spoons etc.). I told her they were for my daughters school class. The lady looked confused. I proceeded to tell her that my daughter goes to a charter school so I was donating it so the teacher didn't have to use her own money (not that this should even matter because I am sure people donate items to public schools too, but what else do you say). You would expect the next thing to be said would be something about how nice that was! Instead, she gave me a horrified look and proceeded to go off about how horrible charter schools are!! "You don't get school lunch and they don't bus you" (was the only reasons she could give)!! Obviously she doesn't know much about charter schools. For some reason when we chose to put Carlie where she is I wasn't thinking about that!! Man, I should have considered those things more!!:) I just smiled and said, "we love her school"!! I just got another horrified look like I was crazy!! Now everyone isn't going to believe in or want the same things but come on, don't put something down that you know nothing about! Not everyone has the same feelings about charter schools as we do but we have experienced it firsthand and we love it, we would never change a thing! We are lucky and blessed that she gets to go to such a great school, it is one of the best decisions we ever made for US!!:)

3 comments:

Lynette said...

My sister's (Hillary) kids attended a charter school (they have since moved out of state) and LOVED it! I think they are terrific. Some people just are afraid of doing things a different way. I homeschool and I know I get a lot of "Are you CRAZY?!" kind of looks. And maybe I am, but I'm doing what I feel is best for my family -- and you are doing the same thing for YOUR family. You GO, Heather!! :) :) :)

Amelia said...

Wow, what a crazy person! If school lunch and buses are all that is important to your child's education I guess a charter school isn't a good place. But if you ACTUALLY want your child to be educated....

Kristin said...

You pay in other ways for their low prices...whether it is ignorant cashiers or dirty stores...I am glad you guys have loved her school, and good for you for finding the best fit for her.