Monday, April 20, 2009

Strawberry Freezer Jam


I made freezer jam for the first time and it is so easy!!! You just have to make sure you buy the freezer jam pectin that says NO COOKING. They only had the ones you cook, with all of the canning supplies. I actually found it in the baking aisle on the very bottom shelf below all of the Jell-0 (at Walmart). All you add is the pectin, sugar and strawberries (blended). Below are the instructions that are on the back of the pectin box (Ball Fruit Jell Freezer Jam Pectin NO COOKING).

1 Stir sugar and contents of 1 package in a bowl until well blended.
2 Add 4 cups crushed fruit (for peaches, reduce to 3 1/2 cups). Stir 3 minutes.
3 Ladle jam into clean plastic (or glass)freezer jars.
4 Twist on lids and let stand until thickened, about 30 minutes.
5 Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
6 NOTE: Fresh strawberries: 4 (1 lb) pkgs Frozen Strawberries: 3 (12 oz) bags.
7 Fresh Peaches: 12 medium.
8 Frozen Peaches: 3 (16 oz) bags.
9 Fresh Raspberries: 6 (6 oz) pkgs.
10 Frozen Raspberies: 3 (12 oz) bags.


If you use the above amounts of fruit and one pectin packet it makes 5 (8oz.) jars of jam. I bought pint jars instead of 8 oz. and I was able to make almost 6 full jars using 2 packets (you get 2 packets in a box of the Ball brand) of pectin and 4 (1 lb.) packages of fresh strawberries. My family loves strawberry freezer jam, that is the only kind of jam they will eat (so we go through a lot)!!!!!!

5 comments:

Jorgensens4 said...

Now I know what I'm doing this weekend! I guess it's going to rain and this sounds like a perfect indoor project. Thanks for sharing!

Jennymommy6 said...

We love freezer jam too. I need to get making some since this is getting to be strawberry season.

Rachel said...

That jam looks good! I wish I was half the home maker you are :)

Post-it Notes said...

k- I have a box of that pectin but I have never made jam. You have inspired me so now i will have to try it.

Jami said...

Oh Yummy! I have been wanting to do some freezer jam for a while. Hopefully I will get around to it sometime. Might have to call you for moral support :)