Sunday, July 26, 2009

Not what anyone expected!!

I went in last Tuesday morning to have surgery to fix my 2 hernias.  I was very stressed about being put to sleep.  Before I went into the operating room my Dr. said that it was going to be very painful being cut on both sides so she was going to keep me overnight at the hospital.  I was a mess at this point with the anxiety of being put to sleep.  Luckily,  a neighbor I grew up around the corner from most of my life, happened to be the head over surgery and was there when they brought me in.  It was nice to have someone I knew there to try and calm me down since they had already made Lance go to the waiting room!  I remember being in the operating room and then waking up crying in severe pain!!  I don't remember much after that.  I was told that I was in recovery for 3 hours instead of 1 because they were having a hard time controlling my pain and I was having a hard time waking up.  I went into surgery at 10:30 and the first time I was awake enough to know what was going on it was 4:00 and I had been taken to my room.  I still had a hard time staying awake at that point so most of Tuesday I do not remember.   They said that when they got in there instead of the 2 hernias they thought I had, there was 5!!!  No wonder I was in so much pain, I was basically cut from 1 side to the other and then once they fixed the hernias they packed mesh all along the top layer to try and prevent this from happening again!!  I can actually fill the mesh inside me, it feels like I have gauze all on the outside of me but it is on the inside, so weird!  How does someone get 5 hernias!?!?  My Dr. doesn't even know!  She is still shocked about the whole thing!  She said one was the size of a plum, one the size of a walnut and then there was 3 more!! She hasn't even seen one as large as I had!!  I ended up having to stay in the hospital for 3 days and 2 nights (sounds like a mini vacation but trust me it wasn't)!!  I was in so much pain that I wasn't breathing good and so I had to be on oxygen and to think this was supposed to be an outpatient surgery!!  It is very rare to have 2 hernias let alone 5!  The really weird thing is that only one hernia had poked out, that is when I found the lump but other than that I had no signs of any others and no pain.  I would have never known I had 5 hernias if I wouldn't have found that lump!!   Since I have come home all I have been able to do is lay down, basically just getting up to go to the bathroom.  This is to prevent swelling and it is too painful to be on my feet for very long.  Lance has had to do basically everything, which at times is hard to watch and makes me feel like I am being lazy.  Lance has been wonderful and hasn't even complained once!!  I was a little worried about how things were going to work out with me being laid up.  He has even been potty training Cayden (since I wasn't able to make it work the first time around)!!  I think Lance is trying to earn the Dad of the Year Award!!!:)  Thanks for everyones thoughts and prayers, emails, meals brought in and visits (a big thanks to my mom for taking care of our kids for 3 days)!!  We have greatly appreciated everything and are so blessed to have such wonderful family, friends and neighbors!!:) 

4 comments:

Jami said...

Oh wow Heather. I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been thinking about you all week and praying that things went well. Let me know what I can do to help!

Sarah Lee said...

woah! that is crazy. I hope you are doing well and thank goodness you did find that lump. Who knows what would have happened if you didn't. It's amazing how much guys really are capable of, if they HAVE to do things without us, huh?

Sara said...

Holy smokes Heather - what an ordeal! Let me know if I can do anything to help, please?! I'm serious - call me any time. I hope you're recovery goes as quickly as possible for all of that. Wow. I'm glad you are okay.

Lindsey said...

Hope you continue to feel better! What an ordeal!