Tuesday, August 25, 2009

1st Day of School.......Again

About a year ago I signed up for quite a few Charter Schools in the area hoping Carlie would make it into one. Last Friday we got the call that there was 2 openings for 1st grade at a school called American Prep and Carlie had been selected. For those of you that know about Charter Schools you know how extremely hard it is to get into one, if not impossible! They literally draw your name out of a hat, there is no order involved. We were a little disappointed that we got the call a week after Carlie started school. She had adjusted to her new class and teacher and had made some friends. She loved her teacher and I loved her teacher so it made the decision even harder, not to mention that Carlie did not want to have anything to do with switching schools!! It is a K-9 school which we love and they have a very high test score rating. They are a full iniform school so that will be a big adjustment for us but that does have a lot of benefits (if we wouldn't have already bought her a new wardrobe for school this year, school shopping would have been very cheap)!!:) They only have around 500 students so the class sizes are a lot smaller. They get a lot more one on one attention including breaking out into smaller groups for reading and math so they are with kids that are on the same level. Knowing that in the end this is a great opportunity and something that will be very positive for Carlie's future we decided to make the transition! Carlie is now an official American Prep student. It definitely will be an adjustment for all of us but a good one:)
We are trying to adjust to school starting at 8:15!!! We were still a little tired:)

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Good luck with your new school. Sounds like it will be a good move for you.

Lindsey said...

Lucky! You look cute, Carlie!

Kristin said...

I have looked into several charter schools as well and think they are awesome. Let me know how it goes. I agree...if you get picked it is hard to pass up because they are so hard to get into.

Janie said...

I hope the first day went good. Carlie you look cute in your uniform.

Sara said...

Wow, that's great! We've wondered about looking into charter schools for Kindergarten - but I don't know how soon to worry about it, since he doesn't start for another year. Any thoughts?

Shantell said...

Wow, that is great! I am excited for Carlie!

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.